Squash and Kohlrabi Empanadas

I know it has been a while. Took a small break from coupons and now I am back in the saddle of cooking/baking. Although I dislike the process I realize that it is part of life.  With coupons I rarely have to cook, but I get CSA, of which I am so thankful.  The fresh vegetables are delicious and push me back into cooking again. Once I lose the CSA I am sure I will go back to coupons and not cooking again.I prefer to do once a month cooking, but the group I did it with stopped after December.  Looks like I will be cooking myself for a while until I can get a group together again.  So far no luck.  Maybe I need to go begging. "snicker".

Here is a recipe I tried yesterday.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/squash-and-kohlrabi-empanadas/detail.aspx
I followed the recipe fairly close. Here is how my recipe looked.


Squash and Kohlrabi Empanadas Murphy Style

1 large yellow squash, cubed
2 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and cubed
I put them in the steamer for 1/2 hour
Then I added in a bowl:
2 green onions, chopped
1tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ginger
salt and pepper to taste
Then made:
1 (15 ounce) package pastry for a 9 inch
double crust pie
Preheat oven to 350


Roll out the pie crust by running a rolling pin over it once or twice. Cut out about 16 6-inch circles using a large cookie cutter or cereal bowl. Fill the center of each circle with about 1 tablespoon of the kohlrabi mixture. Brush the edges of the pastry with water, then fold the dough in half. Crimp the edge of the dough with a fork to seal, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pastry and vegetable filling. Prick each empanada with a fork. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and flaky, 15 to 17 minutes. Serve hot from the oven.


 I forgot to add the spinach. Oops. I was requested to put in meat or beans next time. I think I will try beans first since I am not a meat fan. We topped the pastries with salad dressing.. compliments of my coupons this spring. :-) I think we will be making them again. Although I might take the lazy route and use tortillas or bread dough instead of a pie crust. I hate making pie crusts!

Comments

Popular Posts