Keema

I have to admit something. I enjoy watching Food Network's newest Aarti Party.  We have tried several of her Indian recipes and enjoyed them so I have been searching for more recipes to try.  And despite my efforts, I still DO NOT like cilantro... there I said it. "sigh". I keep trying it though. I can't NOT like it right? Anyway here is my last Indian dish we tried. The only thing I changed is that I did not use the veal.

Keema
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 16 ounces ground lean beef
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot, or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh hot green chilies, or to taste
  • 3 cups frozen peas
  • 1 lemon, juiced, or to taste
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, or to taste
  • Indian flatbreads (rotis) or tortillas, as an accompaniment

Directions

In a nonstick skillet set over moderately high heat, warm the oil until hot. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add the veal, beef, and salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Add the garlic, tomatoes, gingerroot, Garam Masala, and chilies, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the peas and continue to cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes more, or until flavors blend. Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro and correct seasoning, adding more salt if necessary. Either transfer to a bowl and serve with warm rotis or tortillas or spoon Keema down center of bread and roll up like a burrito

We actually added some salsa and cheese to the Keema when we rolled it in the burrito. It was delicious. We hope to make it again. :-) 

Comments

Popular Posts