My 5 tips for making an easy THM menu that fits your family


How do YOU make your family's menu?  Mine changes from time to time, so for the moment, this is what I do at the moment.

1. We have a breakfast menu. Before you start going HUH, just listen.  Each day of the week we have a plan for breakfast. I no longer have to hear, MOM WHATS FOR BREAKFAST!  I am half asleep in the morning anyway. I do NOT do well with constant questions being thrown at me, a million miles an hour and I am only half awake.  So here is what we do:
Monday: Oatmeal - I pick a THM friendly recipe....
Tuesday: Eggs N Bacon or sausage etc. If I have greens I will cook those up along with it.
Wednesday: cereal - there are a few recipes in THM Cookbook and THM Table. Or the Sam's cereal.
Thursday: Pancakes. We do waffles at times, with syrup and PB. Sometimes yogurt and fruit.
Friday: Usually we make enough Thursday that we have leftovers. If not, we do eggs/egg bake.
Saturday and Sunday: we do yogurt/kefir with a baked good. Muffins, bagels, toast, etc.

2. Lunch is leftovers from supper or we do Egg (deviled or egg salad sandwiches). I make 1/2 salad and/or soup a week and we will have that as well.

3. Snack - yogurt/kefir or whatever fruit we have on hand. Usually bananas, apples, and whatever is on sale at Aldi or the Kroger cheap bin. LOL!

4. Supper. This gets a little more complicated. I hate our menu honestly, but it is what works for us.  We have a few days that are the same... I hate that.  Tuesday is ALWAYS tacos. Once in a while I can get a Mexicanish meal in them instead. Its rare though. Wednesday is grandma lunch... don't you all have a day like that. LOL!  Thursday is a soup. My one meal that is cheap and easy and I get to PICK.  Sunday night is always pizza in the cooler months and in the summer we do burger/hot dogs etc with whatever salad I have on hand.  That leaves Monday, Friday, and Saturday I get to pick something from the THM cookbooks to make us. I try to make one chicken and one beef at least.  It works.  Just seems like we do the SAME things OVER and OVER again. During lent (No, I'm not Catholic) we usually have Fish every Friday. It is a treat that I don't mind actually. I have a THM Fish recipe I could LIVE on.

5. My last tip is to let the kids pick some of the meals. My kids have pretty much picked all the breakfasts. One of my son's is the pancake mixer uper... is that a word? He gets up and mixes the pancakes on Thursday. My other son makes the pancakes.   I usually make my zucchini pancakes once a month and I will freeze the leftovers (not all my children like them, imagine that).  One likes to make the oatmeal on Monday. I do the kefir and yogurt typically. If they make it my frozen fruit disappears too fast. Because after all mom is a fruit smoothie, not a yogurt/kefir smoothie. These poor children are still struggle to understand why they need protein with every meal. LOL!  The Tacos and Pizza/Hotdogs etc are the meal they ALL want and love. I make some on plan things so I can eat along with them don't worry. I will sometimes ask them which meals from the cookbook they want to try, but usually they bother to look. Its kinda a joke around my house that they all hate chicken, until they try it that is. LOL! Silly boys...

Comments

Popular Posts