Samantha's Cream of Carrot Soup
- Peel the carrots and cut into ½ inch slices. Place carrots in a small saucepan with chicken broth over medium heat. When the broth begins to boil, turn heat down to medium-low.
- Cook carrots for 20 minutes or until they are very soft.
- Pour the broth from the carrots into a bowl and set aside.
- Put the drained carrots back into the saucepan and mash with potato masher until smooth,
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add butter. When it melts and sizzles, add flour and stir often for 3-4 minutes.
- Add mashed carrots, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir.
- Slowly pour in broth and stir until soup is smooth and bubbly,
- Add half and half. Stir again and heat soup slowly. Do not let boil.
- Pour into bowls and top each serving with croutons.