Michelle's Vegetable Enchilada Casserole

I know you are suppose to do it weekly, but that does not always happen at our house. My last fridge cleaning session happened Sunday.  I have 2 to clean.  I cleaned the fridge part of one, and the freezer part of the other. So hey, I am at least half cleaned. LOL!  While I was cleaning out the fridge I was contemplating using up the fresh produce on I had on hand. The alternative was using  up the freezer meals I had just made the day before at our Grande Cooking day.  I thought it would be better to use up the fresh instead of letting it go bad was the better choice.  So far I have made 2 different meals using up our fresh ingredients.  Both were hits with the family.  Good thing because I made a large batch so I had additional meals for a later day in the freezer. My poor victims. I mean children. LOL!  My husband happily eats just about anything I set in front of him.

Yesterday I made up a Vegetable Enchilada Casserole. I used this recipe as my base and added a few extra things. I made a double batch so I had 2 8x8 pans to put in the freezer or a later day.

Michelle's Vegetable Enchilada Casserole
Serves 24

2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups diced summer squash
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped pepper - I used yellow.
4 cups packed coarsely shredded swiss chard. Stems and leaves
4 cup canned corn
3 cups cooked navy beans
3 cups cooked black eyed peas
1/2 cup beef taco meat
1/2 cup beef breakfast meat
2 (24 ounce) jar Enchilada Sauce
16-24 corn tortillas (6 inch)
4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Heat oil in skillet. Add zucchini, pepper, onion, and swiss chard stems and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Add swiss chard and corn. Cook and stir until chard wilts.

Spread 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in (2, 9x13 or 4, 8x8) baking dish. Place tortillas, overlapping as needed to cover bottom of dish. Spread with half of remaining enchilada sauce. Top with 1/2 vegetable mixture and half the cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, vegetable mixture, enchilada sauce, and cheese. Cover with foil. Freeze or continue with baking as directed below.

Thaw. Preheat oven to 350. Bake 40-50 minutes or until casserole is bubbly. Remove foil and cook 5 more minutes until cheese is lightly browned.

Comments

Popular Posts