Michelle’s Spicy Runzas

My second attempt at using up my fresh produce was actually a bigger hit then the first.  I was inspired by these 2 recipes.  Runza Burrito and Runzas-Bierocks.  I am German, but I don’t think I have ever had a Runzas.  I did not even know it was a german based dish until I read the reviews of the first recipe. I was just looking for recipes with tortillas.  I guess you learn something new every day.

I decided to make the first recipe, but I did not want to mess with making tortillas this morning. So I threw the ingredients in my bread machine for my bread dough and went that route. 

So here is my version. Again I made 2 batches.  They were so well loved that one of my children decided to steal one of my “freezer” portions. The little rascals.  But what do you expect from a child that is ½ German. He he he.  Next time I make these I want to add cheese. I forgot about the cheese until I went to look at the recipe later. Oops.  Oh well, they were still delicious. J

Michelle’s Spicy Runzas
Serves 12

2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ pound bread dough (made from my mom’s bread recipe of course)
1 head of bok choy chopped.

Cook beef with onion, salt, and pepper.  Drain off fat.  Add red pepper flakes and cabbage. Cook until cabbage is soft.

Divide dough into 12 portions. Roll into a circle. Take 1/12th of the meat mixture in the middle of the dough. Fold over dough and seal edges.  Place on a greased pan. Repeat with other 11 Runzas.

Preheat oven to 350. Let Runzas raise as the oven preheats.  Bake Runzas for 20-30 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts