Putting up meat

I canned meat for the first time in my life.  I had heard of people doing it, but I had been too chicken to try it. So yesterday I invited my mom to come over and we tried it.  It was not that hard, but it took me ALL afternoon and most of the evening.

Here is how I did it... and so can you. :-)

Cut your roast (I used a rump, chuck roast, and stew meat ) into 1 - 2 inch strips.  Brown your beef roast in a pan. They do NOT have to be well done. Just browned.  Pack in sterile, hot jars.  Fill with jar with hot water and seasonings. I used Italian seasonings. Most people recommend beef broth.  Prepare jars, lids, and rings. Place in pressure canner and process for 1 hr and 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

I was able to can 11 jars.  I want to try again and hopefully finish up my roasts. Not sure I want to try my ground beef yet. I use it for so many things and I am not sure that we would like the flavor of cooked to death beef.

Coming up next... more on carrots, eggplant, and avocados.

Comments

Popular Posts