All about Pumpkins

One Pumpkin's Adventure to the Canning Jar

We tried to grow pumpkins this year. But I got 1 loan pumpkin and a few gourds. Ooops. Not sure what happened there. We normally get pumpkins from our CSA, but with the drought this year we didn't even get 1. It has now been 2 years since we had pumpkins. So instead I went trash hunting for pumpkins. I found only 1 this year. And my husband bought the kids 1 loan pumpkin that we cooked up this year. So... the ode to the pumpkin... Murphy style.


I start by cutting up the poor babies... and the kids are sad. Hehe. I usually just rinse the seeds and bake them... that recipe for another day.  I borrowed my mom's steamer and steamed the pumpkin. It takes about 1 hour to cook up the babies. I had to do it in 2 batches. That pumpkin was BIG.  Once it is cooled I can easily slide the skin off the pulp.


Then on to the strainer, where the boys exercise their muscles to get the finest pumpkin puree.They think it is GREAT fun to strain the pumpkin. Don't tell them that it isn't because I have it MADE. I never strain tomatoes either. THEY DO!  One of the BEST perks to have boys. They like to do things that require muscles. hehe



I put the jars in the dishwasher to be ready for the pumpkin. Hot jars and hot pumpkin are READY.  Now I boiled the lids in water, and started the water bath on the stove, since it takes about 20 minutes to get the water boiling. 


I put the puree in the crock pot to make sure it stays hot.    I use a funnel to put the pumpkin in the jars. Without is a mess. Don't try it! 
 My mom bought me this wonderful canning set a few years ago. It has a funnel and one of those magnet things to get the lids out of the water without dropping them or burning yourself. AWESOME invention. EVERY canner should have one.





 I wipe the jars down with the a wash cloth and then add the lid with my magnetic tool and ad the ring. Now all ready for the canner.  Whew... the Pumpkin is done in about 1 hour.

Comments

Popular Posts