DIY Colored Sugar





I hate spending so much $ on colored sugars to decorate Christmas cookies. Quite frankly I just didn't buy any and we never decorated cookies. I get worse mom award I know. Well in December of this year a friend posted this link and it had a recipe to make your own colored sugar. I was so excited.

So Friday we embarked on our quest to conquer colored sugars. And it worked great. The ONLY real issue is that the purple did not turn out as nice as we would have liked. We used almost all the sugars up decorating our left over Christmas cookies for pennies instead of $2 a bottle a bottle. I think I paid about $1 for ALL the sugars we colored. Maybe even less. No more store bought colors for us. And i am sure we will be decorating cookies more often!


 

Colored Sprinkled Sugar

Ziplock Bags
Food Coloring
Granulated Sugar

I put 3 heaping Tablespoons in each bag with the 2 squirts of the coloring.  I then gave the bag to my kids and they "played" around with the sugar in the bag until it was all mixed. 



As you can see even my 3 yr old was able to join in on the fun.


Comments

Popular Posts